PhD Researcher EU Democratic Governance
+32 466 02 63 57 // @fdavesa (twitter)
- Ferran Davesa is a doctoral researcher in political science. In October 2013 he obtained a PhD fellowship from the Institute for European Studies (IES). Davesa is part of the research programme Evaluating Democratic Governance in Europe (EDGE), a joint initiative with the Political Science Department of the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB).
- From 2008 to 2013, Davesa was a graduate researcher at the Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals (IBEI) and the Universitat de Barcelona (UB). As a member of the EUROCORES' Comparative Agendas Project (CAP) and the Spanish Policy Agendas Project (SPAP), he contributed in the development of comprehensive datasets on the Spanish political system, the media and public opinion.
- Davesa holds an MA in International Relations from Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (IBEI), and a BA in Political Science from Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF). He has also acquired a post-graduate degree on International Development from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC), a programme in which a fieldwork experience was conducted in the Philippines together with some local NGOs.
Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
- Davesa's doctoral thesis focuses on the development of participatory governance by the institutions of the European Union. The project unpacks political participation in the youth policy field (find here an extended summary of the project)
- Davesa's doctoral work develops upon a multi-method research based on: network analysis of policies and actors under the Youth Strategy; and a computerized content analysis of policy documents. All data gathering, curation and analysis has been developed through the R statistical environment. For developing the project, it has been also necessary to implement computer programming techniques in the language Python. All in all, Davesa’s research generated more than 100.000 analytical units, which explain the main features of EU’s political action in the field of youth (2001-2015). The datasets containing these data (as well as the algorithms used) will be made public at the completion of the dissertation.
- Davesa has complemented the insights of the quantitative analysis with qualitative data obtained through different iterations of a simulation aimed at reproducing the Structured Dialogue with Youth among a representative selection of undergraduate and master students.
- From January to April 2016, Davesa joined the Center for American Politics and Public Policy (CAPPP) at the University of Washington in Seattle (find here a summary of the research stay).
Profile and Publications
- Study at IES
- European Projects